History of Halma

The T. L. Spilde family of Beaton operated a department store and when news came that the Soo Line Railroad was going to come through what was later called Halma, they and many others decided to move there.

The moving of buildings was done by logs, a pulley (stump puller), men and horses.  It went slow so they lived in back of the store and business went on as usual while they were moving.

There were three grocery and mercantile stores, Bothum and Son, Holms and Spildes.  Folland Hardware was owned by K.L. Spilde before it was moved out of town.

Halma had a restaurant between the Bothum and Spilde stores with living quarters in the back.  C.E. Braaten operated a feed mill, Dave Rigely was the photographer, Peter Bjora and Barney Johnson printed the Halma Pilot, Arvid Hammerback built and operated the blacksmith shop and Mr. Schey managed the Bertram Lumberyard which is now the Halma Oil and Supply Co.

Halma also had an elevator that burned down and a bank that shut down in the 19030's.  There were a couple of hotels, a restaurant and a livery stable.

Lundeby Lutheran Church was the congregation's first church.  It was of log construction and it burned down.  In 1897 the current church, Eidsvold Lutheran, was built.